Last week we announced the roll-out of version 2 of start.me. We’re happy to announce that, as of today, all users have been migrated to the new site. This means that everyone is now able to experience a faster loading start.me.
+67% Improved Website Load Time
The main objective of developing a new version of start.me was to improve the loading speed of the site. Below are some statistics taken from the last couple of days. On average the First Meaningful Paint has improved (decreased) by 67%.
|Metric||V1 (old)||V2 (new)||Decrease|
|First Meaningful Paint||2100ms||700ms||-67%|
|Total requests||177 requests||128 requests||-28%|
The actual (perceived) performance per page per user will depend on factors, like: user location, internet connection speed and the number of widgets on a page. However, overall everyone should now be able to enjoy a significantly faster start.me!
Whilst we focused on improving the loading speed of start.me, we have added several new features in v2. A short summary:
- User preferences settings can now be updated through a new sidebar.
- We added a user setting to enable/disable the context menu (right-mouse click).
- The “Browse widgets” sidebar now loads faster.
- Google Task widget: now uses drag ‘n drop + we fixed several bugs.
- RSS widget: we added a setting to show full headlines of articles.
- World Clock widget: added support for thousands of extra cities around the world.
Bugs fixed since last week
Since the roll-out of the new site last week, various people reported newly introduced bugs. Below is a summary of the most important bugs that we fixed during the last days:
- The “Open links in a new window” setting wasn’t respected on sub-domains. FIXED.
- The “?embed=1” parameter to hide the header of start.me wasn’t working. FIXED.
- The “search suggestions” dropdown didn’t close upon hitting ESC. FIXED.
- Various issues related to Themes & Widget Transparency. FIXED.
- RSS widget: articles that were clicked were not marked as visited anymore. FIXED.
- Scrolling issues in Safari (iPhone). FIXED.
- The “Organize Widgets” using drag ‘n drop wasn’t working anymore. FIXED.
Please continue to let us know if something is broken. You can either e-mail us at email@example.com or leave a comment below.
One of our big next projects is to improve the mobile experience of start.me. We’d like start.me to be as useful on your mobile device as it is now on your desktop. Feel free to tell us what you’d like to see next on start.me. Either e-mail us or leave a comment below.
- Author: Arjen Robijn