Without a bookmark icon, your start page wouldn’t look the same. That’s not our opinion, it’s a well-known fact to all our customers. One of them reached out to us on Twitter, and this is what happened.
A tweet about a bookmark icon
On February 15 one of our customers, Fernando Scheps, twitter handle @fscheps, contacted us with a single tweet:
Hi @startme Why not exposing the icon also when adding a new bookmark so I dont have to go and edit it after saving it?
He included some screenshots that really got the trick done. Yes, why not make it possible to change the icon to your new bookmark, as you are saving it?
We immediately understood the advantage of this new feature: now our users didn’t have to retrace their steps anymore. Just bookmark, personalize, and continue.
Why didn’t we think of that?
This is what happened next
We implemented the new feature. That’s it. We just made it happen because it was a good idea. And because we want to improve our product, just as much as our customers seem to want.
So, this is what you do (extended version):
- Click the Add content button.
- Start typing the name of the site you want to add to your page.
- As you type, you’ll see new suggestions from our database. Select the one you like.
- A new dialogue window will appear. You can decide where you want to place the new bookmark.
- Don’t choose the destination widget, but click the pencil next to the bookmark you’re adding.
- In the edit bookmark window, you’ll see a new Select icon option.
- After you’ve changed the bookmark and icon, you can Save your preferences and go ahead.
- Select the destination bookmarks widget.
Or you choose the short version:
- Go to an existing Bookmarks widget.
- Click the plus or the Add bookmark option in the Bookmarks widget.
- Now you go directly to the Edit bookmark window, where you can change the icon immediately.
- Don’t forget to click Save to confirm.
There are a few things to consider:
- This feature doesn’t appear when you use the extension to add bookmarks.
- You need at least one Bookmarks widget on your page, for the edit bookmark option to appear.
What do you think?
We like this new addition to our Bookmarks feature. What do you think? Or have you got some more suggestions to improve our site?
Let us know on Twitter (!) or in the comments below. We love to listen!
- Author: Stefan van Dierendonck