We recently added Single Sign-On (SSO) to our start.me for Teams product. This means that your co-workers can now access your start.me team pages using their existing work-account. They no longer need a start.me account (and remember another password!).
What is Single Sign-On exactly?
Before we get into the settings and details of SSO for your team pages on start.me, let’s take a look at the advantages. The technique is developed to make the authentication process of your team members to their team pages both simpler and more secure.
The advantages of SSO:
- Less password fatigue or identity chaos, especially when switching or sharing devices and computers.
- Reduce the time spent entering login details for different accounts.
- Reduction of IT costs, as there are fewer tickers about forgotten passwords.
- Improved security, as the passwords, are not stored or managed externally.
How to activate SSO
To activate SSO for your team, you need to go through the following steps:
1. Set up a custom domain for your organization.
2. Once you’ve done this, you can configure your preferred authentication method and provider. We support the following SSO user authentication standards: OAuth, SAML, and OpenID.
3. Finally, you will need to whitelist an e-mail domain for your team.
Example: if your business e-mail domain is @marketing.com, every user with a @marketing.com (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com) e-mail address will be allowed to access your team pages automatically.
Please contact us if you have any questions or need any help getting SSO setup for your team.
- Author: Stefan van Dierendonck