The share dialog has always been a part of our start.me pages. Last week we made sharing pages even more intuitive, accessible, and informative. Read all about it in this blog article.
New Share Dialog design
The first thing you’ll notice is the new design of our Share sidebar. It should work more intuitively now. All the information is readily available on a page level.
In the first block, you’ll see if the page you’re on is personal, or belonging to a team.
In the next block, you’ll see the four sharing options:
- Private. Your page is only visible for yourself or for anyone you’ve invited with an email.
- Team Name. Here you’ll see the team name, with the message that the page is visible for anyone on the team. If you’re on a personal page, this option doesn’t appear.
- Shareable link. Share a link with anyone. No start.me account is necessary.
- Public. With or without start.me account, anyone has access to your page, including search engines like Google.
And finally, you’ll see the users connected to the page: the owner, anyone with a right to view, or to view and edit the page.
The right to make other users an editor of your page is a PRO feature.
Personal use case: plan a vacation with friends
Let’s suppose you’re planning a vacation together. To Rome, Italy, of all places.
What you need is a lot of information: the weather conditions for your destination, the flight or train ride over there, local accommodations, restaurants, excursions, and the like. This is where a start.me page will be useful.
What you do is this: create your page alone, or together with your travel partner. Then invite them by email to your page.
With their free start.me account, users can get access to your page, and view or edit to participate further.
It’s a matter of clicking the Share button, typing an email address, and you’re on your way.
Other personal user cases might include guitar lessons, wedding planning, planning a side hustle, a book club, or a pleasant evening, cooking with friends. There’s really no limit!
Professional user case: share a dashboard with your marketing team
For business users, the information you share with colleagues, co-workers, or employees is more sensitive in nature.
That’s why we’ve added several options to make it safer to log in (using Single Sign-On), whitelist IP-addresses, or monitor the last time they accessed your pages.
Sharing is still natural, though.
- You prepare the team page just like any page.
- Once you’re happy with the result, you press the Share button and select the team you want to share with.
- You can also decide if you want to share with specific team members only, with the entire team or with the world.
- For each team member, you can also set the access or edit rights to the page.
If you want, you can access also access your team member area directly from the share sidebar.
- Click Manage team members.
- Now, you’re in the team member’s area, where you can invite new team members. Click the Add users button.
- Now you can invite many users at once (bulk email) or one by one.
- Click Add user or Invite members.
If you return to your page and click the Share dialog, you’ll see who has access to your pages now. New team members only show up after they’ve accepted your invitation.
So, if you feel like taking your business or educational organization to the next level, start up your very own Team.
Moreover, did you know that your team members will get upgraded to PRO automatically? That’s another good reason to try it out!
Will you try it out?
We think sharing pages is a useful feature of our product, as the applications are limitless.
Try it out! And do let us know what you think. Good or bad, we love to hear from our users.
- Author: Stefan van Dierendonck