Did you know that you can use the Embed widget to easily embed content (widgets, images, videos, etc) from external services to your start.me page?
Instructions to add the Embed widget to your page:
- On your start.me page, click on the “+” in the grid
- Select “Embed webpage” in the list of widgets
- Copy the “embed code” (provided by the external site) or URL (to an image/video or HTML web page) into the Embed widget
To give you some examples of content that you can add to your start.me page:
Example #1: Weather Forecast
Forecast.io provides a great free weather widget that provides you with a 7-day weather forecast for any location in the world.
<iframe id="forecast_embed" type="text/html" frameborder="0" height="245" width="100%" src="https://forecast.io/embed/#lat=42.3583&lon=-71.0603&name=Downtown Boston"> </iframe>
You can change the following parameters in order to retrieve weather data for another location:
- lat – Latitude
- lon – Longitude
- name – Name of the location (you want to display inside the widget)
If you don’t know your Latitude/Longitude, you can use another online service – like mygeoposition.com – to retrieve it for you. For more information about this Weather widget and additional configuration options, see blog.forecast.io.
Example #2: Youtube
Saw an interesting video on Youtube that you want to post to your start.me page? Simple copy the Youtube URL of the video into the embed widget and you’re done.
Example #3: Website performance chart
Compete.com provides many website performance data tools. They also provide a chart widget that lets you display the performance for a specific website over the last 13 months.
Simply go to compete.com, enter the URL of the site you want to follow and then click the “Embed” button inside the graph to generate the embed code that you can paste into your start.me page.
Some other tips about the Embed widget
- You can add multiple embed widgets to the same start.me page, allowing you to create a full fledged dashboard with information pouring in from various sources.
- In the Embed Widget settings you can configure the height of the widget and the suppressing of borders.
- Make sure to embed content served over https:// as the Embed widget may not work otherwise. Read more about this here.
Questions or suggestions for widgets?
Please drop us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment, if you have any questions about the embed widget. We also love to hear from you what kind of external widgets you use on start.me, so we can look into providing these widgets by default in our widget library.
- Author: Arjen Robijn