Men’s leather jackets and coats could possibly be the most expensive investments in a man’s wardrobe. From time immemorial, the leather jacket shirt
has been in use for different purposes and in different styles. I bet there is not one man out there who doesn’t have at least one kind of leather jacket or coat.
Even among winter jackets and coats there has to be at least one of leather.
Now buying a leather jacket may not be the easiest thing. I mean there are several things that you need to look into before you actually make the investment, because you definitely want it to be of the best quality and you want it to last you for a reasonable period of time, right?
And you obviously also want your jacket to be stylish too, with the perfect fit, the perfect shine and the perfect design.
So these are all factors that you need to check to find the right jacket, but most importantly you need to check for the performance factor, because after all, you need it to protect yourself from the cold.
We have some important tips for you to choose the right leather jacket.
But before that, let’s quickly run through the types of leather jackets so that you know which one to get.
For starters, there’s a classic leather jacket made from lambskin that could serve people who are not into experimenting. Then there’s the rocker version that is a little more stylish and rugged looking meant for riders. There’s also a rider’s jacket that is more comfortable for motorcycle riders. Of course it is more on the tough side. Finally for a more affordable alternative there is always the faux leather jacket.
These are the 5 basic types of leather jackets. Now there are many other versions in between that plays with style.
Now let’s get into the tips:
- Make sure that your jacket fits you right, and by right, I mean the way you want it to fit you. Ideally it should fit you well, with a little room for layers
- See that the type of skin used for the leather is durable and at the same time comfortable. Mostly it is cow or lambskin that is used, both of which are fine. Sometimes people use calf skin which can be more comfortable too.
- Choose a preferred mode of tanning. Most leather jackets and coats
are tanned either using a vegetable tanning process or chromium sulphate. Both have their pros and cons. The chemical tanning is likely to last for longer and faster. The vegetable process gives a more natural looking tan.
- Ensure that the zippers and the snaps work perfectly.
- Look for a jacket that uses a high quality synthetic lining or a cotton lining, and make sure it is in place as well.
- Last but not least, consider the cost and the specific style that you want. Analyse the purpose for which you are getting the jacket and choose the style. Compare a few good styles and then decide how much you want to spend.
Next time you’re out to buy some winter fashion jackets menkeep these pointers in mind and get yourself a good steal.