We live today because of yesterday, and tomorrow because of today. The importance of history cannot be understated. Our rich today is ultimately thanks to our past struggles and achievements, either as a person or as the human race. Every facet of our lives is inevitably tied to some history. Whether it is the current technology, farming or politics, it owes a lot to the history that has slowly but surely got it to where it now is. So, the big question is: is it important to study history? Definitely. It is, however, important to note that we have all been studying history, in one way or another, so many times in our lives.
Here are some reasons why we need to study history
1. Shaping a society. Let us take, for example, the Apartheid period in South Africa where Africans experiencedimmense racial. It is of utmost importance that the people understand that the freedom that they are now enjoying was hard-earned, through war and bloodshed, and the heroes of that period celebrated.
2. Learning from past mistakes. When we look back to World War II, especially the bombing at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, we understand the importance of peace, the wisdom in looking for other favorable means of resolving conflicts other than war.
3. History is interesting. From Alexander the Great to the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, the early explorers, the Byzantine empire. Seriously, can more interesting stories be found anywhere else? Pore a little into history books, and you will find a lot of moving and thrilling stories.
4. Cultural awareness. History provides us with a lot of insight into different cultures around us. It is through it that we truly appreciate the diversity and rich cultures. It helps us understand why certain people act the way they do. It is culture that importantly leads to art.
5. Enables development and progression. History usually forms a basis from which we can only go higher. The knowledge we gain from our predecessors usually forms a platform from which we can refine and improve it further. This has enabled such things as technological advancement and scientific innovation.
Indeed, history is immensely important. Its hand has been felt in every aspect of life. The decisions we make, the technology, our culture, you name it. Everything really. It is therefore crucial that we study history. It makes us wiser and improves humanity. Thanks to it, we have made huge leaps as humans. And more is yet to come.
Some useful resources:
The Importance Of History